Green Piece

The simple musings of a man who thought he knew everything . . .

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Please Mr. President, Don't Back Down Now

Last year's election had me in knots, not in a small part because of the probable appointment of Supreme Court Nominees. President Bush's first pick was good but not great. I fully support the President and I think Chief Justice Roberts will be a solid judge, however, I don't want another pick like him. It has nothing to do with my confidence in Judge Roberts. As a matter of fact I am not against a Roberts-like pick, I just really want a more solidly conservative pick.

Now, it appears that part of what will motivate President Bush's pick will be gender and/or ethnicity. A large portion of the country is expecting a woman or a minority. That's great because there is a great pick who is both - Janice Rogers Brown. Maybe it's just that I was really looking for a fight with Chief Justice Rogers that never materialized. Such a fight would assuredly happen with a pick as staunchly conservative as Judge Brown. But reading what she has said has brought me to the conclusion that she is a wonderful pick.

My request to my president is that he stay strong and that he not worry about what the liberals have to say regarding his pick. You and Senator Kerry were both clear about the type of judges you would pick and the people made their choice.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:08 AM, Blogger Mark Lancaster said…

    I don't know anything about Janice Rogers Brown, but I did a quick look on the internet to see what others were saying.

    Here is some of what I found.

    “Janice Rogers Brown is the far right’s dream judge,” said People For the American Way President Ralph G. Neas. “She embodies Clarence Thomas’s ideological extremism and Antonin Scalia’s abrasiveness and right-wing activism. Giving her a powerful seat on the DC Circuit Court would be a disaster.”

    “Janice Rogers Brown has a record of hostility to fundamental civil and constitutional rights principles, and she is committed to using her power as a judge to twist the law in ways that undermine those principles, said Hilary Shelton, director, NAACP Washington Bureau. “For the administration to bring forward a nominee with this record and hope to get some kind of credit because she is an African American woman is one more sign of the administration’s political cynicism.”

    In speeches, Brown has embraced the extreme states’ rights and anti-federal-government positions of the Federalist Society...

    So, if this is what NAACP and People for the American Way are saying, I give Janice Rogers Brown a BIG THUMBS UP. Imagine the audacity to support an idea like "States Rights".

    Keep up the good work Jason.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home