Green Piece

The simple musings of a man who thought he knew everything . . .

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

It's OK to Govern Based on the Bible - Part 2

I got a comment on my last post and wanted to share my response with the readers of this blog.

Anonymous said...

But what about those of us who don't subscribe to the Christian bible? The Constitution guarantees freedom of religion, and just over 20% of the country doesn't practice Christianity.

It's okay to live by the bible, but to govern based on the religious text of one particular religion, especially when that governance impedes the rights of others, is unjust and unconstitutional.

Not to mention, religious texts are vague and figurative and there are hundreds upon thousands of interpretations and very little consensus between denominations and even within them. I don't think it can be done. Certainly it can't be done in a way that is fair to all Americans.

And is it really fair to deny civil marriage to gay and lesbian couples on the basis of a text that also codemns tattoos, sex during menstrual cycles, and vegetable gardens? I don't think so.


I will respond point by point:

But what about those of us who don't subscribe to the Christian bible?


Those who do not subscribe to the Christian Bible have the exact same access to our political system as I do. That is the beauty of being self-governed. The fact that I vote my conscious, and that my conscious is based on the Bible, does not mean that your religious liberties are being infringed upon. In fact, telling Christians that they can't be a part of the political process because of their religous beliefs is the real discrimination.

Not to mention, religious texts are vague and figurative and there are hundreds upon thousands of interpretations and very little consensus between denominations and even within them.


You are correct - but that is why we each get to vote on who we think is the best person for the job of legislation. Just because you and I might disagree on the meaning of scripture does not mean that I shouldn't get a vote.

And is it really fair to deny civil marriage to gay and lesbian couples on the basis of a text that also codemns (sic) tattoos, sex during menstrual cycles, and vegetable gardens?


The question of whether this is fair or not is for the legislators (democratically elected) to decide. To govern is to choose - and that is what our public servants are voted in to do.

I sincerely appreciate the comments and hope that you will send some more my way.