Green Piece

The simple musings of a man who thought he knew everything . . .

Monday, October 03, 2005

Questions Abound in Miers Appointment

Well, here it is. President Bush has made his pick. People are asking me what I think of Harriet Miers. The answer is a resounding "I don't know". I have to admit that at first I was really disappointed. There are plenty of people to whom Bush could have given the nod (ahem, Janice Rogers Brown) and yet he went with someone from his staff.

My fear is that this appointment was made because of his fear of a fight. I wanted President Bush to tell the Democrats that he doesn't care what they want, he is going to pick the right person for the job. It's not that I think Miers is bad, it's that I don't know. I wanted certainty, not more back and forth like with Roberts. Of course it is possible that President Bush would simply tell me that he doesn't care what I think, he is going to pick the right person for the job.

I was definitely encouraged by what I read at the American Center for Law and Justice and at World Magazine's Blog. Yet, there are questions. She gave money to Gore. I can't get that out of my head. She gave money to Gore! Everyone has lapses in judgment but good grief she GAVE MONEY TO GORE!!

OK, I have counted to 10 and am ready to go on. Here is the problem - this whole confirmation process will be an attempt to keep every conservative leaning that Miers has on the down low. It's going to be impossible to know what kind of justice she will be until she is actually doing the job.

Mr. President I hope that you have not let us down.

Here are some links that will help you make your own decisions:

Pro:
Dobson Endorses Miers - this is a big one
American Center for Law and Justice - these guys are awesome. Anyone they endorse can't be too bad.
Miers Led Bid to Revisit Abortion Stance
World Magazine's Blog

Con:
William Kristol is Not Happpy
Harry Reid is Happy
Rush called it a "pick made from weakness"
Plus, she gave money to - oh, never mind.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger Mark Lancaster said…

    Quote from Online Article:

    She has also been active at her church, Valley View Christian in Dallas, for 25 years. Longtime friend Nathan Hecht, a Texas Supreme Court Justice, says Miers has given "hundreds of thousands of dollars" to the church over the years.

    www.vvcc.org

    There is no way that I can know, based on news reports, what Miers stands for. Every news source is going to twist the story to fit their frame of reference. I trust the ACLJ opinion, as they are regularly arguing cases before the Supreme Court. I am encouraged that the church she attends appears to have a clear statement of faith, and that she has been actively involved for many years. Although church attendance and giving does not necessarily mean I will agree with her on all decisions, it does point in the right direction for at least starting from the same foundation.

    Rest at ease, God is not concerned. He has not thrown His hands up in the air saying, "What am I going to do now? I can't believe George picked her!"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home